Skip to main content

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) - Funny, Fun, and a Little Bit Insufferable

 



The late 00s and early 10s were a pretty good time to be somebody who loved cult horror films with a sense of humor. You had the likes of Trick r Treat, Drag Me to Hell, and my favorite at the time which was The Cabin in the Woods. Whether it was on pay cable or early streaming, the film became a regular fixture in the years I mostly just spent my time frequently re-watching the same movies and drinking far too much beer. Because of that, I’ve gone some years without watching it very frequently cause I got kind of burnt out on it in my 20s but I had this former Blockbuster rental Bluray copy that cost less than 2 bucks so I figured why not see how well the film holds up?

The thing that hasn’t held up so well is how smugly in love with its own dialog and cleverness the film is in a way that immediately signals that Joss Whedon was a writer on it. There’s a certain too cute quality to a lot of Whedon’s projects that have made me not like them as much as other people do, sorry to all you Buffy fans, this post-Tarantino tit a tat self-commentary and pop culture junkie mentality that is supposed to endear you to these characters as smart and confident but really just makes them seem insufferable in a way that is not intended. Also I find them sneaking in the TnA of a slasher as part of a plot contrivance a lost less charming than I once did, and generally find this is a plot you don’t really need to think too much about and just have to be fine with the fun to be had, with a conclusion that works with its ambivalence but could easily be accused of just being outright nihilistic.

And there is plenty of fun to be had, don’t get me wrong. Obviously, as a diehard horror fan all the little tributes they give to iconic horror subgenres is fantastic and still really holds up for me, the “elevator” scene is really great as is the basement scene where they “choose their fate”. Outside some mediocre late 00s CGI, the film is pretty well directed and well shot at every turn with the right framing and lighting to fit every mood. There’s PLENTY of gore and violence to truly pay tribute to the genre, a lot of different ways that people got hurt or died in a familiar order for a while. The makeup on the zombie family and the many other ghouls and goblins therein are universally very good. And despite itself it does manage to be genuinely funny and subversive more often than it is a little over the top, with a lot of jokes and gags that have stuck with me for many years and I found myself anticipating once again upon this rewatch.

The whole cast is solid, but Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford as the control engineers obviously steal every single scene they are in and are the true stars of the show. Fran Kranz as the token stoner character despite leaning too far into stoner tropes (hey, those are my people!) remains consistently charming and surprisingly the most cogent character in the entire film depending on your perspective. Kristen Connolly makes for a very believable and solid final girl, tough and smart and funneling her trauma into a rage against the darkness. Even if his accent isn’t perfected yet, Hemsworth was obviously a star in the making with the pure charisma he exudes whenever on screen.

It comes off as very of its era and very of its creators, but for the most part this is still a really fun, enjoyable romp that is a little something different while still delivering the goods that horror fans want and then more on top of that. It should have been bigger at the time, but maybe doesn’t completely live up to the hype 15 years later as solid as it is. I’d probably recommend it to most out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Path to War (2002): More TV Than HBO

  My whole life since I was an elementary school aged kid I’ve always been fascinated by US political history, often much more than I am modern politics (particularly these days where everything political is just crushingly depressing and scary). I make it a regular habit to read books about 19 th and 20 th century political figures and events, and I am an absolute sucker for the subgenre of “HBO Political History Movie/Miniseries” that was so common in the 00s and early 10s on the network (shoutout to the amazing John Adams series maybe someday I’ll review here). So of course when I somehow only found out that Path to War existed for the first time yesterday while browsing through stuff on Max, I didn’t even think about it and just immediately pulled the trigger to watch it. First thing is first, I have heard many a bad attempt by British actors to do a convincing Southern accent like Jude Law a weird number of times, but Michael Gambon here trying to accomplish a convincing Texas

M (1931) - Even Better than Peter Lorre's Haunting Eyes

  Anybody who knows me knows my biggest vice in life is true crime as guilty and gross as I feel about it quite frequently, and unfortunately as a true crime junkie you end up hearing about a lot of cases involving abused or dead children. So of course I joked to my main group chat of friends when I decided to watch M the other day that I needed to take a break from all the stories about dead kids I’d watched that day so I was going to put on a movie about a serial child murderer. To be honest this might be kind of a short review compared to some I’ve written, because I don’t have that much negative to say. Some of the performances seem a little “big”, but so soon after the silent era that is to be expected and that is just kinda of body language analysis since I do not speak German at all. Also it does something that a lot of films of its era does, which I’m guessing had something to do with cameras speeds at that time, where instead of showcasing people naturally running it instead

World Without Sun (1964) - Do You Think We Should Be Smoking in this Pressurized Chamber?

  My entire knowledge of the filmography of Jacques Cousteau, outside of clips here and there, comes through pop cultural osmosis. When I was a young teenager I became an instant fan of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou by Wes Anderson which I watched together with my stepfather who was a lifelong fan of cult/alternative comedy and we laughed our asses off no matter how dry the material is presented. When a few years younger still, like countless children of the 90s I became a dedicated fan of Spongebob Squarepants and its zany, often surreal sense of humor which included a French-accented narrator in certain “2 Hours Later” or whatever cutaway gags that it is obvious tribute to the great aquatic documentarian. So I knew certain stylistic things or stereotypes, but that is about it before I decided to watch World Without Sun at midnight on a weekday. This is the first documentary I’ve ever reviewed on here, so figuring the best way to go about it as I go along. The most striking ne