Skip to main content

The Green Mile (1999) - Syrupy Collection of Great Character Actors

 


The Green Mile was a film that was in a regular rotation for my mom and stepdad when I was growing up, so I saw it many times in the late 90s and early 00s. My love of Stephen King mostly comes from my dad, who owned the first King book I ever read myself in late elementary school (Skeleton Crew) and numerous others I looked at on his shelf all the time and showed me miniseries like IT and The Stand. However, my mom contributed a little bit too with the likes of Creepshow and some of his other 80s adaptations and of course The Green Mile. So I figured why not revisit it since I own it?

My biggest problem with The Green Mile is one I share with its spiritual sibling in The Shawshank Redemption which is that it is just very sentimental and sometimes even downright corny. Movies seemingly designed to make middle aged dads get in touch with their emotions by layering that syrup on thick. There’s a place for that and I understand why people really enjoy it, but it just simply isn’t my preferred style which over the course of a quite long film that probably could have been told in a much shorter runtime kind of wears on me a bit. There are also a fair amount of contrivances in the film’s plot including one that is basically recycled from Shawshank with just a slight twist, and there’s some real pointless parts of the script that could have been excised easily. I know Stephen King loathes bullies and tend to write them all as inherently evil, but Percy is one of his most 2 dimensional bullies ever in how absolutely little nuance they afford him. Thomas Newman’s score is...very much a late 90s Thomas Newman score which coming from me is not exactly a compliment. Also, there’s a strong argument to be made about the magical black man tropes and how John Coffey fits into them, but I am not remotely qualified to make them myself.

There is stuff to like here for me though. The film is handsomely and warmly (especially for a prison setting) directed and shot, Frank Darabont and cinemtographer David Tattersall who’d become best known for working on all three Star Wars prequels build a very real environment out of limited locations and it consistently looks good. As somebody who dedicates so much of their life talking about character actors, this film can be a real treat, while Hanks is solid in the lead its the likes of David Morse (who gives my favorite performance in the film, Morse is such an underrated actor), Michael Clark Duncan, Harry Dean Stanton, James Cromell, Barry Pepper, a young Sam Rockwell and others who really drive the film for me and kept me happy and engaged the whole time. The story kind of meanders but in a way other that otherwise noting it was far too long that I mostly find charming in that it gives you these snapshots of life on the Mile to help endear the characters to you more and establishes various morals and ethics and personalities and it ultimately makes it feel less like a very structured, point by point story like Shawshank and thus less of an obviously artificial construct.

This rewatch pretty much confirmed what I remember about The Green Mile, and showcased why I only feel compelled to watch once every 5+ years even while owning it (as part of King adaptation box set) but also why I DO eventually come back to it. It is one of those movies perfect to occupy a rainy afternoon when you’re catching up on chores or browsing the internet, not very plot intensive to have to follow along closely and full of individual moments of solid filmmaking at any point you tune in on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Path to War (2002): More TV Than HBO

  My whole life since I was an elementary school aged kid I’ve always been fascinated by US political history, often much more than I am modern politics (particularly these days where everything political is just crushingly depressing and scary). I make it a regular habit to read books about 19 th and 20 th century political figures and events, and I am an absolute sucker for the subgenre of “HBO Political History Movie/Miniseries” that was so common in the 00s and early 10s on the network (shoutout to the amazing John Adams series maybe someday I’ll review here). So of course when I somehow only found out that Path to War existed for the first time yesterday while browsing through stuff on Max, I didn’t even think about it and just immediately pulled the trigger to watch it. First thing is first, I have heard many a bad attempt by British actors to do a convincing Southern accent like Jude Law a weird number of times, but Michael Gambon here trying to accomplish a convincing Texas

M (1931) - Even Better than Peter Lorre's Haunting Eyes

  Anybody who knows me knows my biggest vice in life is true crime as guilty and gross as I feel about it quite frequently, and unfortunately as a true crime junkie you end up hearing about a lot of cases involving abused or dead children. So of course I joked to my main group chat of friends when I decided to watch M the other day that I needed to take a break from all the stories about dead kids I’d watched that day so I was going to put on a movie about a serial child murderer. To be honest this might be kind of a short review compared to some I’ve written, because I don’t have that much negative to say. Some of the performances seem a little “big”, but so soon after the silent era that is to be expected and that is just kinda of body language analysis since I do not speak German at all. Also it does something that a lot of films of its era does, which I’m guessing had something to do with cameras speeds at that time, where instead of showcasing people naturally running it instead

World Without Sun (1964) - Do You Think We Should Be Smoking in this Pressurized Chamber?

  My entire knowledge of the filmography of Jacques Cousteau, outside of clips here and there, comes through pop cultural osmosis. When I was a young teenager I became an instant fan of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou by Wes Anderson which I watched together with my stepfather who was a lifelong fan of cult/alternative comedy and we laughed our asses off no matter how dry the material is presented. When a few years younger still, like countless children of the 90s I became a dedicated fan of Spongebob Squarepants and its zany, often surreal sense of humor which included a French-accented narrator in certain “2 Hours Later” or whatever cutaway gags that it is obvious tribute to the great aquatic documentarian. So I knew certain stylistic things or stereotypes, but that is about it before I decided to watch World Without Sun at midnight on a weekday. This is the first documentary I’ve ever reviewed on here, so figuring the best way to go about it as I go along. The most striking ne