Skip to main content

Ghost Rider (2007) - Hell, It Ain't Awful

 



Last year when my best friends came back from a trip during which I watched their dogs, they came baring a gift knowing I am a sucker for box sets and DVD compilations: a used DVD two-pack of Ghost Rider and Hellboy. I’ve seen Hellboy enough times in my life to know I’m a fan, but I barely remember anything about Ghost Rider so yesterday I got it into my head that it might be a fun review for my blog that is something other than a straight forward horror film (although obviously having a lot of horror elements) and since I got too tired last night I watched it at the most appropriate period of time of the middle of morning while I was killing time until an afternoon appointment.

As always, we start with the bad. The skull absolutely looks like it is out of PS2 game, how are you going to make a movie about a flaming skull dude and not just invest most of your budget into making sure the flaming skull looks good? On that note, most of the CGI also looks pretty bad even by 2007 standards and despite the fact most of it disguises itself by the nature of most action taking place at night. While I’ve seen solid performances before by both, Eva Mendes and especially Wes Bentley give pretty bad performances, with Eva just broad and inch deep and Wes trying his best to give menacing villain vibes but just coming off as wooden and a little unintentionally funny. The film never quite figures out what tone it is aiming for, and sometimes you can get whiplash from it playing itself broadly for laughs vs. demonic action sequences and gothic atmosphere. The dialog is often beyond corny, and any part of the script focused romantic motivations is pretty cringeworthy.

It ain’t all bad though. The film absolutely has that comic book feel, which at the time of the Nolan Batman films and the like was really not seen as an attribute to a comic book adaptation where the trend was to get gritty and realistic with it but in subsequent years we’ve seen with the likes of Ang Lee’s Hulk and the Punisher: War Zone becoming cult classics among film nerds after years of MCU and DCEU bombardment, and frankly while this isn’t near as good as either I think it deserves some degree of reevaluation on those grounds. Like the editing is sometimes super dated to the mid 00s, but there’s comic-learned sense of color and atmosphere and a frequent kinetic energy that keeps things operating at a fast pace. It’s dumb, pulpy, but fun.

I really, really enjoy Nic Cage’s performance who plays Johnny Blaze as a sort of dopey, earnest Karen Carpenter-loving eccentric that really feels like its closer to the weirdo that Cage naturally is more than most roles he’s ever played. When he says he watches a lot of TV several times in the film like a catchphrase, I believe him. Sam Elliott unsurprisingly steals every bit of screentime he has, dude is just a total pro no matter which cowboy role you drop him into. Likewise, the sparingly used Peter Fonda absolutely could have chosen to chew a lot more scenery playing Mephisto but he uses surprising restraint and it makes you wish he was in the movie more often. Donal Logue is another great actor who lights up the screen but is disappeared from the action for too large a swath and it just leaves you wishing they’d utilized him more. It was pretty good cast that they didn’t always utilize as well as they could.

I went into this just remembering this movie as really bad, a punchline for Nic Cage’s tax trouble years as an actor taking any role offered to him, so I was genuinely surprised by the fact that I was never miserable or even really bored during it, and while by no circumstances would I call it a good movie or a lost classic, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saw III (2006): The Scariest Halloween Episode of ER

  I had a rough couple of weeks for various reasons but most notably being sick, and I just barely watched anything other than YouTube videos and some episodes of old TV series I’m working on that maybe might get posts on this blog later on, but today I’m finally feeling a decent bit better though not entirely over my cold and in good spirits so decided it was time to take on Saw III. As always, let’s get the nasty bad part of the review out of the way first. The entire storyline of the Jeff character is pretty uninteresting as they didn’t learn the lessons of the first film that having significant interactions between multiple instead of an angry guy just standing there contemplating not killing people like a total prick is a significant part of developing them. Also, the traps really lost their ironic basis entirely and none of them until the last one are particularly clever or interesting, they just sound like they were lazily picked out of a hat submitted by production staff. Lik

Timecop (1994) - Kick Some Damme Ass in the Past

  Like many I’m sure, I can often spend an hour just browsing various streaming platforms available to me just trying to settle on one thing to watch. Sometimes more than an hour if I’m being honest. So sometimes I just simply have to put my foot down with myself and say “Okay, you’re just going to throw on the next thing that sounds remotely interesting for the next reason” with whatever streamer I’m on at the time. Well this time, I was on the Roku Channel, and for some reason the film that was chosen was Timecop. The first thing that’s notable is that they use my favorite cheapass stunt in 80s and 90s low budget time travel movies, which is setting it in the future so that the primary time travel is to the year the film was released so most of the time they don’t have to do anything to dress things up. Sometimes, such as Terminator, this device can be used quite effectively, most of the time though it is clearly pretty low effort like here. Jean-Claude Van Damme is a pretty awful

Saw II (2005): Anybody Else's Needle Phobia Got Them Itchy?

  Finally getting around to watching Saw II as part of my complete series rewatch after a few weeks since the first, this time watched on the Roku Channel instead of my beat up DVDs because it is a marginally crisper picture and I cannot do a disservice to the cinematographer, of course. Oddly enough I believe that this is the Saw film that I have seen the most times in my life, just because it’d sometimes pop up on random streamers or back in the day cable movie channels. As often with these reviews, we’ll get to the bad first. The cast is a huge downgrade, no offense to Beverley Mitchell who I loved as a kid who sometimes watched 7 th Heaven with my older sister, from the original with none of the victims being nearly as compelling as the two originals and Donnie Wahlberg’s one-note performance being a huge downgrade from in terms of nuance from Danny Glover in the lead detective role. The nu metal music video editing isn’t quite as intense as the original, but unfortunately it is