Skip to main content

Phantoms (1998) - C'mon Guys, Stop Kicking Dean Koontz, He's Already Dead

 


A fair amount of my life just via being a pop culture junkie I’ve made many jokes at Dean Koontz’s expense suggesting he is the poor man’s Stephen King or “The K Mart Stephen King”. Recently though, I realized how unfair this was when I had never even read a Koontz book, so I sought out to find one that sounded interesting on audiobook and settled on Phantoms because I am obviously a genre film nerd and knew very well that they had adapted it into a film when I was a kid and could thus compare the two down the line. To my mild surprise, I did generally enjoy the book, I wouldn’t call it great or anything but it was a pretty solid chunk of somewhat Lovecraftian storytelling that was pretty engaging at most times. However, this is not the kind of review that compares the book to the film, I want to judge the film on its own merits and thus will try to limit how often I refer back to the book for some reason.

There are definitely flaws here. Despite being, on paper, the lead of the film and a medical doctor Joanna Going after the first like 20 minutes isn’t really given much of anything to do on screen except look concerned and react to Ben Affleck, which in breaking my rule just once I will say was not a problem with the character that came from the novel. Rose McGowan is consistently really terrible and part-wooden but also part-cartoony playing a character who is implied to be considerably younger than she actually was at the time, which is partially just because the character was just really badly written as stereotypical bratty, sarcastic teen but the performance does not elevate anything which is surprising coming two years after Scream and 1 before Jawbreaker: she knew how to act in better movies. Peter O’Toole does the absolute best with what he is given so maybe it should not go in this section of the review as I enjoyed him, but they don’t give him a lot of time to do the grand monologues of ancient evils that you’re expect from such a character and instead he’s just treated as source of short bursts of exposition whenever they need it, never making quite clear what his real scientific specialties or qualifications are so they can use him for whatever they want.

Likewise, the execution here isn’t always great. You get the feeling early on that the primary reason this film was chosen for adaptation is because you could save so much money on SFX if you are being taunted by an unseen enemy most of the film. While the practical FX doesn’t look bad, it is VERY sparingly used outside of very inexpensive black goop and often shrouded in shadow or quick edits or in one notable case being at the other side of a window, and the few times they actually seem to use some digital effects similarly get little actual time on screen although against just streetlamp lighting they look fine. The pacing is not great, with the first half of the film feeling very slow and just generally spooky as they walk around an empty (except corpses) town rather than ever really scary, and so little time is spent towards the end of the film figuring out the grand evil and how to maybe defeat it that it seems far too sudden and convenient and just pure plot contrivance.

However, I would absolutely classify the film as watchable. While never flashy, the whole film is very steadily directed with strong atmosphere and a good eye for framing shots by Joe Chappelle who along with many network procedurals is probably best known to fellow nerds as being a director of many great episodes of The Wire where he was also an exec producer, so despite his lack of success as a film director he knows what he’s doing. It looks pretty good consistently.

As the male lead, Ben Affleck absolutely exudes leadership under pressure and a common man’s approach to discovering the unknown, even if I wouldn’t call it one of his more interesting performances of his young career where at times he was much better. Liev Schreiber however absolutely steals the show as a creepy deputy cop in big glasses who starts losing his marbles not long after being introduced into the situation in a performance that is fairly subtle and focused on body language and facial expressions frequently despite the character having not much subtly at all in the writing. I have said it before and I will say it again: there has never been a film that has not been improved by having Liev Schreiber in the cast.

Did I enjoy the book more than the film? Absolutely, 100%. Do I totally understand why so many critics at the time thought the story translated poorly to film? Definitely. However, if you divorce yourself from its source material and just take it in as a late 90s horror film with up and coming actors (and one legend), can you have a fun, pulpy evening watching with it? Sure ya can, I’d probably watch it again even if maybe not for a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timecop (1994) - Kick Some Damme Ass in the Past

  Like many I’m sure, I can often spend an hour just browsing various streaming platforms available to me just trying to settle on one thing to watch. Sometimes more than an hour if I’m being honest. So sometimes I just simply have to put my foot down with myself and say “Okay, you’re just going to throw on the next thing that sounds remotely interesting for the next reason” with whatever streamer I’m on at the time. Well this time, I was on the Roku Channel, and for some reason the film that was chosen was Timecop. The first thing that’s notable is that they use my favorite cheapass stunt in 80s and 90s low budget time travel movies, which is setting it in the future so that the primary time travel is to the year the film was released so most of the time they don’t have to do anything to dress things up. Sometimes, such as Terminator, this device can be used quite effectively, most of the time though it is clearly pretty low effort like here. Jean-Claude Van Damme is a pretty awful

The Frighteners (1996) - Michael J. Fox's Lost Sitcom (Derogatory)

  I’ve had good luck recently with randomly picking films I thought I wouldn’t enjoy much but gave a shot and ended up really having a good time with, so I thought The Frighteners was a can’t miss prospect. I grew up the biggest Michael J. Fox fan and I worship the ground Jeffrey Combs walks on. Peter Jackson’s earliest films were all pretty good, I’d generally consider myself a fan of them, particularly Heavenly Creatures. It is billed as a horror-comedy, one of my absolute favorite subgenres to which many of my most beloved films belong. I genuinely believed I would at least mildly enjoy it despite its mixed reputation. Welp, I kind of hated it. The biggest thing for me is how broad, obvious, corny and often just outright cartoonish all of the comedy was. Outside of a couple performances, the acting throughout was like the most lowest common denominator sitcoms of the era and the film’s sense of humor shared this quality twofold. I found myself outright cringing at times at some of

Night of the Demons (1988) - The Bratty Little Cousin of Raimi and Waters

  Linnea Quigley is an absolute Goddess of low brow horror shlock and it is almost entirely because of her that Night of the Demons has occupied a spot on my Peacock watchlist for a long, long time now. I was excited the the situation finally arose to watch it, when I got about 30 minutes into Downfall (the Hitler movie) on Peacock and decided it was far too heavy for my mood at the time but didn’t watch to have to search another streaming service for something to watch or deal with ads at so many of them. I only have a couple big criticisms of the experience. The first is that outside of Quigley and Amelia Kinkade the acting here ranges from “passably bad” to “Omg, get this person in the next 5 acting classes you can find just to function” awful. This isn’t too uncommon in low budget horror films of any era but especially the late mid-to-late 80s where they saved money on unknown slaughter fodder and frequently hired women from the modeling world who would be more comfortable with sho