Skip to main content

Ivan the Terrible, Part 1 (1944) - Uncomfortably Stalinist, Visually Astounding

 



I know that I usually start reviews with a personal anecdote of some sort, but this one is kind of a head scratcher. My only real ties in my life to the Soviet Union are just a lifelong, morbid fascination with the Cold War era and rocking a hammer and sickle pin on my backpack as middle schooler into punk rock. However, I do like a lot of Soviet era cartoons which are a special kind of surreal and I really like some film movements of Soviet states on the fringe, and what Soviet films I’ve seen often have very strong and striking visuals. So when I saw that Ivan the Terrible Parts 1 and 2 were on Max, I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to do something different for this blog even if it might be a bit shorter than my typical review.

Obviously, the biggest and most valid criticism of the film is how deeply unsubtle it is in most ways, but particularly when it comes to defending and propagating the ideals of Stalinism. As a member of the left, I’m well aware there are factions that still defend Stalin, but left or right I believe the bulk of people out there agree he was a bad dude with a pretty rotten interpretation of Marxism. So if you know his history, it is easy to get squeamish about the heroic portrayal of Ivan and the very Stalin-esque virtues he signals even if Eisenstein himself likely didn’t really hold those views and would sometimes try and be a bit subversive about it (come back to read the eventual review of Part 2!)

However, the film is absolutely breathtaking to look at. The cavernous and ornate environments, stark shadows adorning nearly every shot in the film in a way Hitchcock or film noir could only dream, epic and sometimes unusual camera placements. This world primarily takes place indoors and through speeches, but still seems massive and almost otherworldly. The performances were often criticized, however I don’t speak the language so I can only judge off body language which actually became one of my favorite parts of the film, how stylized and strange and surreal everybody moved and posed at times as if sometimes becoming temporary statues, I absolutely believe that had to be a deliberate choice and I eventually came to think of it as the right one. Nikolay Cherkasov is striking in the lead, he commands the screen every time he is on it. And just because it is Stalinist in nature doesn’t mean the film has abandoned the revolutionary leftist zeal, spending much of the time pitting Ivan as a representative of the people against the monied higher classes attempting to rule the country to their whims, which is a populist sentiment that can transcend Marxism.

There was a lot of genuine artistry in the world of propaganda films, especially in World War II. Some of my favorite British cinema ever was their propaganda efforts often aimed at priming America to enter WWII such as some of the works by Powell and Pressburger such as The 49th Parallel, and later there were many strong American examples too from cinema down to Captain America comics and Disney cartoons. The strong anti-Soviet bias driven into even younger generations of Americans like myself who was born about a month before the Soviet Union formally dissolved I think leads a lot of them to feel weird about partaking in and celebrating the great parts of Soviet art culture but I hope people watch things like Ivan the Terrible and see what a masterpiece of direction it is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Path to War (2002): More TV Than HBO

  My whole life since I was an elementary school aged kid I’ve always been fascinated by US political history, often much more than I am modern politics (particularly these days where everything political is just crushingly depressing and scary). I make it a regular habit to read books about 19 th and 20 th century political figures and events, and I am an absolute sucker for the subgenre of “HBO Political History Movie/Miniseries” that was so common in the 00s and early 10s on the network (shoutout to the amazing John Adams series maybe someday I’ll review here). So of course when I somehow only found out that Path to War existed for the first time yesterday while browsing through stuff on Max, I didn’t even think about it and just immediately pulled the trigger to watch it. First thing is first, I have heard many a bad attempt by British actors to do a convincing Southern accent like Jude Law a weird number of times, but Michael Gambon here trying to accomplish a convincing Texas

M (1931) - Even Better than Peter Lorre's Haunting Eyes

  Anybody who knows me knows my biggest vice in life is true crime as guilty and gross as I feel about it quite frequently, and unfortunately as a true crime junkie you end up hearing about a lot of cases involving abused or dead children. So of course I joked to my main group chat of friends when I decided to watch M the other day that I needed to take a break from all the stories about dead kids I’d watched that day so I was going to put on a movie about a serial child murderer. To be honest this might be kind of a short review compared to some I’ve written, because I don’t have that much negative to say. Some of the performances seem a little “big”, but so soon after the silent era that is to be expected and that is just kinda of body language analysis since I do not speak German at all. Also it does something that a lot of films of its era does, which I’m guessing had something to do with cameras speeds at that time, where instead of showcasing people naturally running it instead

World Without Sun (1964) - Do You Think We Should Be Smoking in this Pressurized Chamber?

  My entire knowledge of the filmography of Jacques Cousteau, outside of clips here and there, comes through pop cultural osmosis. When I was a young teenager I became an instant fan of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou by Wes Anderson which I watched together with my stepfather who was a lifelong fan of cult/alternative comedy and we laughed our asses off no matter how dry the material is presented. When a few years younger still, like countless children of the 90s I became a dedicated fan of Spongebob Squarepants and its zany, often surreal sense of humor which included a French-accented narrator in certain “2 Hours Later” or whatever cutaway gags that it is obvious tribute to the great aquatic documentarian. So I knew certain stylistic things or stereotypes, but that is about it before I decided to watch World Without Sun at midnight on a weekday. This is the first documentary I’ve ever reviewed on here, so figuring the best way to go about it as I go along. The most striking ne