Skip to main content

Leprechaun 2 (1994) - In Multiple Ways, an Improvement on the First

 



In my Leprechaun review, which admittedly was not among my more popular posts but here I am doing the sequel regardless preaching the gospel of...offensive Irish stereotypes?, I talked about how much I enjoyed the series growing up having the first two or three on VHS and frequently haunting the horror aisle when we’d make our regular trips to Hollywood Video where I picked up some others. Going in I remembered this sequel actually improving on the original and upon this rewatch I definitely think it does in parts.

Going from a young Jennifer Aniston, who hadn’t quite found her acting comfort zone yet but was serviceable enough in the poorly written role she played, to the painfully bad Shevonne Durkin was a huge downgrade in the female lead role and I think they realized that as in the second half of the film she just disappears for huge chunks of it. The film doesn’t really do anything to explain how the Leprechaun found himself living on Houdini’s property in Los Angeles after the first film ended despite all the expansions to lore. Their conception of Los Angeles is primarily a dive bar and the nondescript office of a go kart track, with multiple sections of the film set in both, really not taking much advantage at all of the switch to an urban location. The kills are not very bloody or graphic, not even when a dude’s belly is ripped open, with a couple kills mostly being left up to shadow and suggestion and a lot of the effects they do show being pretty janky like the lamest skeleton fight I’ve ever seen. The comedy is a lot more cartoonish and over-the-top in a bad way sometimes. It is somewhat better written overall than the original, but still pretty low-end stuff here even when it works.

However, overall the acting here is much better with Charlie Heath doing a slasher-movie-decent job in the male lead and Seinfeld’s Sandy Baron being truly delightful as a conman murder tour operator entirely motivated by booze and money, he brings such a unique voice to this film compared to the bland characters of the original that he alone is worth watching. You also get a couple character actor cameos from the likes of Clint Howard and Kimmy Robertson that liven things up a bit, especially if you’re a strange person like me into both Ice Cream Man and Twin Peaks. The more comedic tone works more often than not when centered around the character of Morty and his toxic but lovable relationship with Cody. Warwick Davis gets a lot more screen time than the original even if his zingers are often groanworthy, but he delivers with the utmost gusto and remains the obvious highlight of any moment he is on screen.

Also, the expansion of the Leprechaun lore in this film can feel a bit random or completely plot driven, but it gives more of a real motivation (revenge and enslavement of a “wife”) to the central villain, a sense of his life beyond the pure scope of the film series, and feels more fully realized than the simple “four leaf clover on a crate” approach to the original film. Also, giving him his tree cavern lair gives an interesting look at how he lives and is a decent piece of set design in a film that is really desperate for that even if they could probably have made it less barren. It isn’t a great looking film by nature of its low budget existence, but it is in this cavern where some of the most interesting camera work and trickery happens.

Look, you gotta be looking for a very specific thing if you wanna watch this franchise, and nostalgia helps a lot with me, but if you are of a certain mindset in life it can be a lot of fun and genuinely enjoyable as a series of good-bad films that know exactly what they are and are not ashamed of it at all. They don’t try to be high art or even low art, they are just dad puns and things like drinking contests or go kart battles with a murderous Leprechaun and a few mediocre kills along the way, and this film is a shining example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Path to War (2002): More TV Than HBO

  My whole life since I was an elementary school aged kid I’ve always been fascinated by US political history, often much more than I am modern politics (particularly these days where everything political is just crushingly depressing and scary). I make it a regular habit to read books about 19 th and 20 th century political figures and events, and I am an absolute sucker for the subgenre of “HBO Political History Movie/Miniseries” that was so common in the 00s and early 10s on the network (shoutout to the amazing John Adams series maybe someday I’ll review here). So of course when I somehow only found out that Path to War existed for the first time yesterday while browsing through stuff on Max, I didn’t even think about it and just immediately pulled the trigger to watch it. First thing is first, I have heard many a bad attempt by British actors to do a convincing Southern accent like Jude Law a weird number of times, but Michael Gambon here trying to accomplish a convincing Texas

M (1931) - Even Better than Peter Lorre's Haunting Eyes

  Anybody who knows me knows my biggest vice in life is true crime as guilty and gross as I feel about it quite frequently, and unfortunately as a true crime junkie you end up hearing about a lot of cases involving abused or dead children. So of course I joked to my main group chat of friends when I decided to watch M the other day that I needed to take a break from all the stories about dead kids I’d watched that day so I was going to put on a movie about a serial child murderer. To be honest this might be kind of a short review compared to some I’ve written, because I don’t have that much negative to say. Some of the performances seem a little “big”, but so soon after the silent era that is to be expected and that is just kinda of body language analysis since I do not speak German at all. Also it does something that a lot of films of its era does, which I’m guessing had something to do with cameras speeds at that time, where instead of showcasing people naturally running it instead

World Without Sun (1964) - Do You Think We Should Be Smoking in this Pressurized Chamber?

  My entire knowledge of the filmography of Jacques Cousteau, outside of clips here and there, comes through pop cultural osmosis. When I was a young teenager I became an instant fan of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou by Wes Anderson which I watched together with my stepfather who was a lifelong fan of cult/alternative comedy and we laughed our asses off no matter how dry the material is presented. When a few years younger still, like countless children of the 90s I became a dedicated fan of Spongebob Squarepants and its zany, often surreal sense of humor which included a French-accented narrator in certain “2 Hours Later” or whatever cutaway gags that it is obvious tribute to the great aquatic documentarian. So I knew certain stylistic things or stereotypes, but that is about it before I decided to watch World Without Sun at midnight on a weekday. This is the first documentary I’ve ever reviewed on here, so figuring the best way to go about it as I go along. The most striking ne